"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Saturday, August 6, 2011

July 16: FBT prep and my first pollada

I basically spent Saturday getting ready to leave town later that night. I packed up my stuff for FBT, which was sort of like putting together a puzzle. Lindsay told us to bring the smallest bags that we could, so I decided to fit everything into my book bad and a shoulder bag. In ended up being fine, but I wasn’t sure how it would work out at first :-P After packing I went to the locoturio for a little while, just to say hey to folks before I left town for a while. When I got on facebook book I realized that Tucker week at the beach was starting back in the states. I’m glad I was going to La Libertad for the week or I might have gotten a little sad over missing it. I love you guys and I hope it’s a blast!
Saturday afternoon I went up to Santa Eulalia with Jeff and Richard to go to a pollada for Kidist’s mom. A pollada is a really common type of fundraiser around here. The food was great and we were all happy to help out Kidist’s host mom. After lunch a few of us sat around Kidist’s living room and took turns using her internet. That was the first time I had been on skype since I got down here.
After the pollada I went back to my house and hung around until it was time to go. Sabrina, Kelsey, Amanda and I all rode to Lima together and our taxi driver ended up being some host cousin of mine. Apparently Ramiro was going to drive us, but then Peru won the soccer game so and the other guys in the family made this younger cousin take us so they could stay and party. Guess everyone has to take a turn being the low man on the totem pole :-P We didn’t get caught in much traffic so we got to the bus station early and played cards while we waited. Lindsay showed up with Duncan Doughnuts for us and then once we got on the bus we found out the seats lay almost entirely flat….and they have pull out foot rests. Over all FBT was getting off to a fantastic start!

No comments:

Post a Comment