"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

July 28 & 29: Peruvian Independence Day OR guac-fest 2011 and some hiking

Thursday was the Peruvian Independence Day and the beginning of our four-day, Fiestas Partrias weekend. We didn’t have class so a Jessica, Jon, Kelsey, Cat, Matt, Britt, Ali, Richard, Katy, Nicole, Nick, Adrian, Kyle and I met in Yanacoto for a hike. Yanacoto is one of the communities that part of our group lives in and there are ancient geogliffs cut into the mountains behind it. One of the locals from the town even hiked with us to tell us about the history of the symbols. It was a cool morning. Afterwards we went over to Richard’s house to make “lunch”, but we ended up just making a huge bowl of guacamole. Not mad about it! After lunch we went up to a pool in Santa Eulalia for a little while to enjoy the sun some more. That night I hung out with my host mom and her sister Nelly. I really enjoy talking to the two of them because they don’t insist on always talking about “simple” things to make sure I understand. They talk about whatever they want and then help me catch up if I get lost.
Friday i mostly spent the day around the house watching the Grand Military Parade with my host family. It’s a tradition every year for the Air Force, Marines, Army and Police to march in a big parade through Lima. My host brother is a cop so we tried to watch for him. We weren’t able to pick him out, but the whole thing was quite an event; very traditional and formal. There is a particular march that they all do and they line up all the different divisions of each group. I think it lasted about four hours all together. That night I went up to Santa Eulalia to hang out with Nick, Chris, Amanda and Kyle. Nick’s host house is right on a really pretty part of the river, so we sat out by that. Loving the four day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment