"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

July 25: “yeah, but there’s no pocket for your dignity”

Monday was designed to ease us back into the training routine. For starters it reminded us that there are actually 34 people in our training class, not just the 12 that were in La Libertad with me. I sort of forgot they existed…..FBT is a little intense :-P That morning each group did a presentation over their FBT trips. Naturally the presentations spiraled into group jokes and half sentences that told whole stories to the people that were there, but it looks like everyone really enjoyed themselves and I can’t wait to go see more of Peru for myself. After the presentations we had another delightful session with our friendly PCMO Jorge. This one was over common medical issues we will likely face. One of Jorge’s many amazing characteristics that allow him to be our wonderful PCMO is that he’s not easily fazed. I know I will appreciate this in the future. However, listening to him casually explain that a person puking live worms out of their stomach isn’t really all that bad, because they can’t really hurt you…..is pushing some sort of limit ><. Apparently there is a facebook group dedicated to Jorge and the crazy stuff he says, I think I need to join.
Monday afternoon we had language class where we each had to talk about the things we found most interesting about our FBT sites. The highlight of the whole day came when Giovanna asked Kelsey and me if we spoke Spanish all day every day during the trip. I’ll be the first to admit that’s not how things went, but apparently Giovanna could tell a difference in our Spanish in just one week. She said Kelsey and I had both improved. We both lost a little bit more of our fear of being wrong; which oddly enough is a good thing when learning languages because it allows you to speak more easily (even if the words aren’t exactly right). Kels and I were grinning like fools for the rest of the day.
Fun Spanish word of the day, they call a fanny pack a “canguro”…..say it out loud a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment