"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

August 18: Host Family Party or “Juntos….somos….an equipo de doble animales”

Thursday was our last TAPs group meeting with our Tech Trainers….sniff. Lindsay wrote us all a note saying bye and we took a photo of our whole TAPs group in a pyramid. It was much harder to stage that photo than you might think. We also had a meeting with Lucia and Evan (our new PCVC) about the first three months at site and how we need to always remember to behave. I suppose it’s good to be reminded of this from time to time :-P After our meetings we started getting ready for the host family party. Everyone was finishing up their food and we rearranged the chairs so all of our families could sit in the garden. A bunch of the staff came to the party as well and Luis brought me the package of mine that had been in customs forever. Hurray! Cedric is finally in Peru!!
During the party we had a few acts put together to entertain our families. Faith sang a few songs in Spanish; the advanced Spanish class performed a skit they had written; Zach, Matt and Jon played their own translations of I Believe I Can Fly and Lean on Me; and I tap danced. It’s been ages since I’ve done any tap dancing so it was great to have a chance. After our performances we served the food, which was absolute madness for a few a little while because there were so many people there. It went well though and everyone said the food was really good.
After cleaning up the center we all headed home. I worked on packing some of my things and then I went to bed early. I’ll be honest; I got a little homesick when I started thinking about the swearing in ceremony the next day. It’s another big step for all of us and it felt weird to know that my parents wouldn’t be there for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment