"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

August 4, 5 & 6: the post site assignment haze…….

Thursday was a mix of meetings. The groups from each department got to sit down with our regional coordinators to discuss more specifics. Oh my gosh! I can’t believe I belong to a department now…..it just crazy! We also got the schedule for site visits and our socio day in the department capitals. All the details of when we’ll be making our first impressions. No pressure :-P
Friday we had a medical charla with Suni and Carmen, the other two PCMOs. We talked about common medical emergencies and what to do about them. No all of us will be living close to hospitals, so they give us information on how to safely make it to the nearest medical post. We also heard a lot of funny stories about the medical calls the PCMOs receive. I’m telling you….Peace Corp PCMOs need to write books. We also had our final chats with our TAPs leaders about our progress throughout training. In Spanish class that afternoon we watched Palomas de Papel. It’s a Peruvian movie about a boy who gets caught up with the Sendero Luminoso. The movie was really goods, but it’s a tough topic to discuss. That night we all went out to karaoke in Chosica; which was a blast. We all cheer on the Peruvians while they sing Spanish songs and then they laugh at us when we tear up English song. I also put on a little show, by salsa dancing with one of the Peruvian guys. Of course everyone else sat down when they saw me stand up……nothing like putting on a show. It was great fun to really really salsa dance and the guy was actually a really good lead. Lots of fun!
Saturday was basically a work day for me. We have a community diagnostic project that we’ve been working on for most of training and it’s finally time to write the paper. I always forgot how much slower I write in Spanish……yikes! This project is a mini version of the community diagnostic we do for the first three months in our sites. It’s going well and I don’t think I’ll have too much to write when I get back from site visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment