"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

August 24: now I just have to figure out how to start

Wednesday morning I made my rounds to say hello to my socios. At the school I talked with Sra. Yolanda about getting into some English classes. The English professor just had her baby, so they were very willing to have me come to the classes some. From the school I walked up to the posta de salud to catch up with Sra. Doriza. I ended up having a cup of coffee with Doriza and Cruz, the obstetrician. From there I just decided to walk through town and introduce myself to whoever I could, I sort of think this is something I will be repeating for a while. I ended up sitting in one of the tiendas for about an hour talking with the woman who owns it. She’s pretty convinced that I need to study psychology so everyone can tell me their problems while I’m here. I was flattered she thought I was smart enough learn all that from a book, but I was careful to explain to her that that was not my role in the town. Apparently PCVs get asked weird stuff like this all the time……It’s a good thing I was listening during those conversations or I might’ve been really shocked :-P That afternoon I went for the usual walk with my host family and on our way home we got invited to a party for dinner. That night, while on the phone with me, Mom had the chance to hear firsthand as the band paraded down the street and into the house; followed closely by the fireworks the get set off at any and all events. At the party I made friends with some more of the ladies in the town. I’m considering changing my program to adult development. Women over the age of 40 in this town think I’m the greatest; whereas the kids just still think I’m weird. I basically am going to be the “weird kid” for the next two years so I might as well just embrace it  I danced some more at the party (anyone surprised?). My new best friends, Nadie, Nelly and Alice, all set on the bench and cheered me on while my host mom just beamed. After a little while it was time to parade up through the town to the shrine they had moved the day before. So I was sent sprinting back to our house to get more jackets for everyone. No one seems to get that I still can’t breathe up here. After a dead sprint both ways I certainly didn’t need a jacket anymore, but one doesn’t naysay a collection of Peruvian DoƱas :-P We started to follow the band up the mountain, but we never got all the way there. Paula, the 3-year-old, fell asleep on her mom’s shoulders so we headed back to the house. Don’t worry, I hear they carry Saints around for a lot of holidays, so I’m sure I’ll get another chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment