"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

July 30: shake your Kis Kas or “do you sort of feel like a wounded gazelle?”

Saturday morning I cleaned my room and hung out a Kelsey’s for a while before heading up the mountain in Santa Eulalia to watch a horse race. Every year, as part of the Fiestas Patrias celebration they have a race down the side of a mountain. Its multiple heats and they run three riders at a time. All the riders are young guys from the town and I can’t say for certain that any of them really race regularly. At least two horses came in rider-less and a few more were led into the finish with the riders on foot. It was fun to see though and there were lots of people watching and I actually ended up running into a bunch of the other volunteers who came with their host families.
That night I went to a club called the Kis Kas; it’s a club, pool, hotel and restaurant all in one spot. These places are called campestres and they are actually really common around the area. They’re weekend tourist retreats for people from Lima, because the weather is usually so bad in the city. The Kis Kas is one of the nicest campestres around here and it’s certainly the “coolest” with the jovenes, so my host brothers decided to take me to see the DJs. Luis and Julio Cesear told me to be ready around 11 so, being my punctual self, I was read at like 5 till…..we left around 12:15:-P We met up with my friend Sabrina and her host sister when we got there and it was a blast. Apparently when I go out with my host brothers I no longer have a curfew so we danced until about 4:45 in the morning. It was SO much fun! It was also incredibly amusing to be the only two gringas in the whole club….we had an audience pretty much the whole night. Particularly when less popular English songs would turn on and we would be the only ones who got excited. Once they played the Macarena I decided to exit on a high note….ha ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment