"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

September 6 -8 : strange things keep happening….


           Tuesday I spent the whole day in Huaraz; most of it working on the internet at CA Café. I treated myself to a big breakfast with half a carafe of French press coffee and caught up on all things web related. I finally posted photos from all of training on my facebook, so take a look. It was just me and a few backpackers holding down the fort, by which I mean lovely, comfy couches, when the kitchen staff came running out in a cloud of smoke. Apparently the gas tank had started leaking and part of the kitchen was on fire. Luckily one of the guys was able to pull the pin out of the fire extinguisher for them and they put out the fire before it got too big. They were able to start selling food again within about an hour, but things were really tense there for a minute. It was a weird 24 hours…..i forgot to check if the moon was full. After the café I went by the market to grab a few things and went to Cruz del Sur to pick up my box of stuff the Peace Corps had mailed to me. I finally have all my belongings :-) That night back at site I started the process of covering my fruit crate shelves with colored plastic I had bought at the market. Poco a poco I’m going to have this whole room in order.
                Wednesday I spent most of the day sorting through all the papers and manuals that had picked up in Huaraz the day before. I also set up a quick meeting with the Alcalde of my town. I just went by to give him an official letter of introduction from the Peace Corps and to say hello. He seems super nice and interested in working with me. Fingers crossed! That afternoon I went back to knitting class with Faviola. I learned a new stitch and I think I actually get to start making a scarf next week. Turns out this knitting group is actually an NGO that works with women groups to help them produce and sell knitted items. It’s a really interesting organization and the word on the street is that the greatest portion of the proceeds actually makes it back to the women that make the clothes. I’m a fan.
                The highlight of Thursday is that a woman stopped to talk to me while I was walking in the morning, about the fact that I was walking. She said she had seen me a few times now and wondered where I was going each time :-P I told her I was most definitely walking in circles; but that it was for my health, so not to worry. Maybe she’ll join me some morning. Other than that I tried to talk with my socio at the health post, but when she told me we would go to the primaria school to do health monitoring visit she actually just forgot about me…..oh well. I got a lot of studying done. I’ll go back and try again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment