"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

September 1: profe, hay pinta en tu cara! You don’t say…..

(alternate working title: i’m realizing my potential as a human paper weight right now, but i’m out of appendages so you’re going to have to go get that yourself…..)
Thursday morning rang in yet another month here in Peru…..still can’t believe that sometimes. Anyway I went walking right after breakfast. Not a lot of people around here exercise so I had been a little hesitant to draw more attention to myself; but the very act of walking out my front door gets noticed by at least five people, so I’ve given up worrying. Maybe my example will inspire some other people. Who knows? After my walk the power had come back on, so I got to take a shower. I’ve already decided that when the power goes out I’m just not showering. My hands go numb sometimes when I’m just washing them; I’m not trying to stick my whole body in that water. That’s what baby wipes are for :-P After my shower I went to interview the woman that runs the Vaso de Leche. This is an organization that provides milk and oatmeal to families with young kids and expectant mothers. Just trying to get that community diagnostic started. After my interview I caught the combi to another town on the main road to hang out with Kyle, John William and Joanna. They invited me out to make lunch and see one of John William’s projects. Lunch was chocolate chip pancakes and the project was painting with 6 year olds. Good day? I think so. Back at my house that night I helped JP with some English homework. We worked on the verb “to have.” If we keep going like this, my own host brother might be my most successful project :-P Before bed I decided to try doing yoga. I got a yoga book from a third year volunteer who was leaving. Who knows if I’m doing any of it right, but I have some free time on my hands now so why not learn a few new things, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment