"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

August 29: the Peruvian version of a Target run….

              Monday morning I had another English class. This one was actually with my host brother’s class. I think it went pretty well. The kids participated and by the end of it some of the older kids were staring in the window……not sure why they weren’t in their own class, but that’s a question I ask a lot around here :-P  After class I walked up to the health post to speak with Sra. Doriza, but they are in the process of finishing some sort of annual report so she was super busy. Turns out there was another American at the post that day. She’s traveling Peru and broke her ankle a few weeks ago. She made friends with the doctor who helped her and then decided to come help him out during a clinic day at our health post. The poor lady then went and got food poisoning from something she ate….yikes. Anyway, I helped her talk to the nurse while they were setting up her IV in the health post. She didn’t speak much Spanish at all, so I’m glad I was able to help.
                That afternoon my host sister Paula came back into town for a few days. She actually works at the health post in my friend Jeff’s site, so she’s only around about once a week. And yes, before you get too confused, there are two Paulas…..a 3 year old and a 25 year old. Anyway Paula, Dona Norca, Faviola, Paulita and I all walked down to the river behind the town so they could show me the bridge. It’s gorgeous and I got to see more of the town. After our trip to the river I went in search of fruit crates to use as shelves. Furniture is fairly expensive so apparently PCVs use these crates all the time. Anyway, we wound our way through the little paths between the town chacras for a good 30-40 minutes to get to the right place to cross the main road to get to the home of the man in our town that sells enough fruit to have the crates as well. I then had to carry them back to town, wash them in the outside sink and find some nails to secure a few of the boards. Somewhere between jumping from rock to rock to cross a stream and trying to keep my little host sister away from a monkey, I had a memory flash of buying shelves from Target  for my college dorm room…..it was A LOT easier, but somehow not quite as exciting.
                On our way back through town I also bought the last of the ingredients I need to make no-bake cookies. I’m going to take them around town with me when I start doing interviews. Chocolate usually helps people warm up a little faster :-P That night Dona Norca, Paula (the older one) and I took a taxi up the mountain to Mushu to see the fireworks for another Saint’s festival. When we got there though, the power was out in the whole town and they hadn’t set up the fireworks. We walked around in the dark for a little while and listened to some music before deciding to just head back. Bit of a bummer, but at the rate they’ve been going I’m sure there will be another festival next week :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment