"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

September 15: they came to pick me up in the ambulance


            Not because I’m sick. It was my ride to training with the staff of the health post. I squished in the back with about 5 other health post employees; sat on the gurney with the doctor, in fact :-P The health post staff had training at a recreo in Tingua, so I went along to participate. Most of it was over projects that I know nothing about, but I got a lot of time to talk with the doctor about health care in Mancos. It was an interesting mix of English and Spanish and I absolutely loved being able to ask intelligent questions without needing to look something up in a dictionary. We had pachamanca for lunch. It’s one of the most famous traditional Peruvian dishes and I actually hadn’t tried it yet. Think of it as a Peruvian luau. Basically they dig a big hole in the ground then fill it with meat, potatoes, a variety of other veggies and hot rocks. Then you cover the hole back up and wait. Did I mention you eat the whole thing with your hands?  According to my English speaking, doctor friend all the ladies were impressed that I ate some of everything. They assumed that I wouldn’t…..or at least that’s how Alfredo translated the riotous laughter that ensued as I pawed my way through the mounds of food. Mom, Dad, Nat and anyone else who watched my pick my way through food in the states, y’all would’ve fallen out of your chairs laughing at me when I was given this platter of food :-P Google pachamanca…..i’m sure there is a Wikipedia page for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment