"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

September 10: the spiders just keep getting bigger!


          Saturday morning I went for a hike with Aldo, Faviola, Jon Paul and Paula. There are some prehistoric cave paintings in the mountains just behind the house, so they took me to see them. The walk was beautiful and the view, or course, was spectacular. There wasn’t too much wildlife to look at along the way, but I did get the chance to confirm that tarantulas do in fact live in the mountains here. This one was about 5 or 6 inches long and roughly the color of the sand. How close to you think I was before I realized it was a spider? :-P
The cave is pretty interesting. Sadly it hasn’t been taken care of very well, so now mostly what you see is graffiti of people’s names. We were able to pick out pieces of a few of the actual paintings though. According to my host brother, this cave is the oldest pre-historic cave paintings in South America. I’m going to do some research on that though and get back to you. We left the cave and hiked down to another town on the main road. It was about 3 hours all the way around. In Tingua we went to a livestock…farm? Not exactly sure what to call it. They raise livestock to sell, but it’s also a research center for the university in Huaraz. We went to look at the animals though and I blew everyone’s mind when I explained that not only had I seen cows before, but that my very own grandfather had raised them :-P My host brother asked me to explain myself about four times before he finally believed me. I guess they think we’re all from the city….who knows? We caught a combi back to Mancos and I spent most of the rest of the day copying school statistics into excel. Not everything in the Peace Corps is worth writing home about…..except that I just did.

No comments:

Post a Comment