"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

August 31: knitting by the light of my headlamp…..

           Wednesday I had two English classes planned for the first years at the school. Turns out the teacher is already back from having her baby though, so I just ended up helping her with her lesson. That afternoon I discovered the Mancos library. It’s the near the plaza and hopefully I’ll be able to find some more info about the town for my diagnostic. Also I think it would be a great space to have youth group meetings….i intend to go back next week with cookies for the librarian :-P In the afternoon I went to a knitting class with Faviola. There is a group of about 12 women who knit things to sell in artisan markets and they meet every Wednesday. So I bought some yarn and needles so I could start learning. I sat in the corner with Faviola for about the first twenty minutes while we untangled and balled my newly purchased yarn. Then the teacher came over to show me the first step. All the women started watching at this point and were completely amazed when I responded to Spanish commands. None of them thought I could speak Spanish J I really don’t see me getting good enough to actually contribute anything to sell but they invited me back and one of the women offered me her brother….so I guess I’m in. The power had been out all day, so we ate dinner by candle light that night and then I sat with my host brother Jon Paul and translated song titles for him. It’s good practice for me as well, because some English phrases take a lot of explanation. JP says he understood all of my translations; which is good news. Hopefully he wasn’t just being polite :-P Before bed that night I decided to practice knitting a little bit more. I hear sticking my tongue out in concentration isn’t actually essential to knitting correctly, but that seems to be the stage I’m in right now. My homework is to complete 10 cm by next Wednesday so I can learn the next stitch. The power was still down so I busted out the head lamp and worked those needles. You know you wish you were as cool as me…..

No comments:

Post a Comment