"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

September 23 & 24: so…..it turns out altitude sickness is real


      Friday was “Dia de la Juventud” here in Peru. Most of the schools went on paseos for the day and my directora invited me to go along. The plans for what we were actually doing changed a few times though out the week, but I was still going where ever it was. The last my host nephew and I heard we were going to a petrified rock forest to have a look around and enjoy our picnic lunches in the sun. Accordingly I put on a pair of jeans and my converse. For those of you who have never owned converse of your own; they have ZERO traction…..we’ll get back to this later.
When I got to the school they told me we were actually going on a hike to a lake, but they said the walk would only be about 40 minutes from where we park the car, so I hardly noticed the change of plans. When we finally got into the vans the driver told us we were going to a different lake. I don’t remember the name he said, but it doesn’t much matter because it turns out that it doesn’t exist. We finally ended up at Lake Churup . Once we got there we realize that three of the vans from our school had actually gone to some other lake, so we didn’t have the school director or a third of the kids with us……..I know, right? And we’re not even out of the vans yet. 
So Lake Churup is up in Nevada Churup in the mountains on the other side of Huaraz and it sits somewhere between 4500 and 5000 meters of elevation. The drivers tell us we need to be back to the vans in three hours, which is fine because the lake is only 40 minutes away. At least that part of the plan didn’t change, right? Wrong! After an hour of climbing straight up hill my legs started getting weirdly tired; after two hours it hurt to breath; around 2 ½ hours my fingers started tingling; then around 2 hours and 40 minutes my vision started to tunnel out…..oh wait that’s me laying across a big rock to keep from passing right out. At the same time course I am trying to figure out how to explain that my house isn’t much higher than sea level in the United States. To help increase the likelihood of remaining conscious, I decided it was time to start making my decent. Not surprisingly once I turned around to head back about 40 or 50 other students decided that wasn’t such a bad idea either :-P I think at least half the kids didn’t make it all the way to the lake.
The way back down was still very slow because it’s so steep, but at least it was getting easier to breath.  No one was going to make the 3 hour dead line at this point and we were the closest to the bottom anyway, so my little group decided to take a snack break. While everyone was gathering their things to keep moving, I stop to wait on one of the many boulders that we had to climb over to get back down. Suddenly all the little tiny pebbles and broken rocks started to slid off, with me on top of them. There was nothing nearby for me to grab and no way for me to get my traction back (remember the converse?); so I did the only thing I could think of…. turn to face back up the hill, throw myself down on the rock and try to hang on so I don’t slide sideways down the mountain. Needless to say I was ready to be done with the hike :-P Fortunately we all made it home in one piece.
Saturday afternoon Jeff and Brice were both in Caraz, so I went up to meet them for a little while. We had some ice cream and used the internet…….the basic out-of-site activities :-P On my way home that day I had another one of those “life is different now” moments. It gets dark pretty fast around here; so even though I left Caraz in the day light, it was dark before I got back to site. Right about the time I was getting off the combi my host sister-in-law called my cell phone looking for me because they were all SO worried about me. Turns out they don’t think I should even be out on my own after dark…..even though, in this case, dark was about 6:30 pm. I keep forgetting I don’t quite have the same independence here that I have in the States.  

No comments:

Post a Comment