"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

October 7: so this time “my friends” actually turned out to be from Georgia


               Friday morning I went to the Municipality to meet with a few people. I’m trying to get plans together for the summer school program that they do around here, so I just decide to start asking questions. I get the feeling they usually wait until later to plan, but whatever; it’ll be good for them to start early :-P After that I stopped by the colegio to try to talk with the Directora about the next project I want to start, but it turned out they were having field day. I ended up hanging out for a few hours to cheer them on. At one point I actually joined in one of the games in place of a teacher who had recently had a baby. It was a race where we had to run across the volley ball court, sit on a balloon to break it and then run back. There were four balloons for each of us and I was actually running barefoot because I was wearing flip flops :-P I won though! Hopefully I have a few more fans at the school now ha ha ha.
                That afternoon Faviola told me some of “my friends” were in town. I think I’ve mentioned this in another post, but all other gringos are “my friends.” Half the time they are tourists from a country that doesn’t actually speak English, but we are all still friends according to my town :-P Anyway, I decided to walk with Faviola and Paula to the bible school class where my “friends” were going to be. Turns out it was a group of Baptists missionaries who actually are from Georgia. Crazy! What’s more, they have a sister church a few towns over, so people from this church actually come down about 3 times a year. I told them to look me up whenever they come back through.  Being as I am the only gringa in residence, it shouldn’t be too hard for them to find me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment