"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

September 27 & 28: I’m officially part of the knitting club …..I still only have half a scarf though


               Tuesday morning I went to the primaria school to teach English classes to the 5th and 6th graders. I realized that these kids would be moving up into the secundaria school during my time in Mancos, so I should start to get to know them. Also the primaria school doesn’t have a regular English teacher so they were really excited for me to come. The classes went well; younger kids participate SO much more than the older ones :-P
                Tuesday night I went into Huaraz to meet up with Ali and Giselle before they went to Lima for a few days. I needed helping editing some things I had been writing and Ali’s Spanish is way better than mine, so we decided to take our computers to dinner with us and enjoyed pizza while editing my work. The next day I used the internet for a while and then made copies of the youth survey I had been working on. There are just over 300 kids in my secundaria school so I needed to get started.
                Wednesday afternoon I got back to site in time to go to knitting class with Faviola. I was super excited to show all the ladies the work I had done on my scarf; I had almost two feet finished. I barely had the scarf out of the bag though when their eagle eyes started finding stitches I had done wrong. So I sat there and watched them pull the entire thing apart, literally. I walked in with two feet of scarf and within 20 minutes I had a ball of yarn again :-/ So I started the stich over and got a few lines done, but then they took it out of my hands and took it apart again! I nearly cried. The professor finally turned up though and restarted me with this one stitch and I was actually able to finish almost a foot before the classes ended. Towards the end of the class the women started voting on what color to make the group sweaters for the district parade that’s coming up. They actually invited Faviola and me to officially be members! I told them I doubted I would ever produce much to sell, but they said that’s ok. Of course then they told me I had to knit my sweater for the parade by the end of October…..we’ll see how that goes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment