"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Friday, July 29, 2011

July 4: Celebrating American independence in Peru

For the Fourth of July the small business group came up to Santa Eulalia and we went to a campestre to play games all day. There was another round of Chicken in a Penthouse…..I swear it’s now my favorite game. We also played spud, capture the flag, soccer, football, volleyball and one game of red rover. It took about 3 minutes for the first person to get hurt playing red rover, so I can see why we aren’t allowed to play it in elementary schools anymore. The Peruvian staff members thought it was a riot though :-P The sun was out, so most of us got sunburns, but it was still great to have a play day in the sol. The trainers had an American Flag cake made for us and we all sang the national anthem together before we ate. I was surprised at how emotional I felt when I was singing. Somehow being in another country made me realize how much it can mean to hear people singing your national anthem. Beautiful. After the games Kelsey and I went into Chosica where I FINALLY bought some sweatpants. I just don’t know what I was thinking by not packing them to begin with. That night we met up with a bunch of the group to watch the Uruguay v. Peru game. I do love watching futbol in South America! By the end of the game though, the cold I had been trying not to get had finally caught up with me, so I was ready to go. I caught the combi home, ate a little sopa and crawled into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment