"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

27 & 28: I accidentally lied about being Catholic….oops!

Monday we had Spanish class at Faith’s house and then we walked back to the center for classes in the afternoon. They brought in a committee that focuses on teaching English, which is something a lot of us will be asked to do at site. The volunteers on the committee actually brought in some members of our host family so we could observe them teaching an English lesson. I expect that it was fairly awkward for the family members, but they were great sports about it and the experience was super helpful. Also it’s always really nice to talk with currently serving volunteers. Later that night I went to watch a movie at Jeff’s house. When I got there a friend of Jeff’s host mom was at the house and they started talking to Jeff and I about religion. This is not at all uncommon, I get asked about my religious beliefs all the time. Anyway, this time I had some trouble understanding and accidently answered yes when she asked if I was Catholic. I missed the fact that she had started asking questions :-P Anway, Jeff really is Catholic and she thought I was, so she gave us both a blessing. Jeff knows I’m not Catholic though, so he made fun of me for a minute or two after the lady left. I suppose any blessing is a good blessing though, right?

Tuesday was had Spanish class at Faith’s again. One of our assignments that morning was to walk over to the commedor popular and speak with the ladies that run it. A commedor popular is cafeteria type place where people can get something to eat for very little money. The particular one that we went too was just for kids. For various reasons parents can’t always make or provide lunch for the kids so they can come to this place after they get out of school and get a good meal. They ladies were very nice and very proud of the work that they do.

I think Tuesday was one of the most thought provoking days I’ve had yet. Before we went to the commedor we listened to a song about the tough lives that a lot of Peruvian children lead. Giovanna actually started crying while she was trying to explain the situations some youth face. And not so long ago in a history lesson; Kathleen, our lead tech trainer, started crying while trying to explain the atrocities committed by the Sendero Luminoso. After our lesson with Giovanna, I was forced to process the fact that, twice in two weeks, I had seen someone cry while explaining realities they’ve witnessed in their own lives. I think some days I get so caught up in figuring out my own life here in Peru that I forget I am here for a purpose: to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment