"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Friday, July 29, 2011

July 14: I love when children give me presents :-P

Thursday morning we had a few hours of Spanish class before we went on another school visit. Kelsey and I decided to try the Personal Flag activity on a larger group of kids and it went really well. The teacher was super involved, which always makes these random school visits go better. Two of the students in our class gave me bead bracelets. It was great! I hadn’t even walked into the room when I got the first one ☺ I also ended up signing autographs. It’s a little strange to me how commonly we get asked to sign random scraps of paper. The first time I saw it happen I just thought the kids were being crazy, but we really get asked a lot. Pretty funny.

Thursday night Kelsey, Jon and I planned a session to talk with or host families for our Community Diagnostic project. Only my host mom and Jon’s host mom actually showed up, but we did the activity anyway and it went really well. It’s called a FODA analysis or a SWOT analysis in English. It’s a conversation about the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of a community. They two ladies had a lot of interesting things to say and the conversation was actually really fun. This is the first time I have really felt I was able to show some of my personality in Spanish. It sounds sort of silly, but it can actually be hard when you don’t have the ability to make a person laugh in the language you are speaking. So that night was great because be the end of it we were all tearing up from laughing so much about the parade of gringos we think we should have in the neighborhood. My host mom also told me that she thinks my Spanish has improved a lot. I went to bed grinning ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment