"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Friday, July 29, 2011

July 12 & 13: Piero’s Birthday and time to tryout the Emergency Action Plan

We had our TAPs interviews on Tuesday morning. These are part of how they evaluate our process throughout the ten weeks of training. I’ll be honest though, Lindsay and I spend some of time planning how we were going to see the final Harry Potter movie during FBT. So excited! That afternoon we had a special meeting with Kathleen so she could explain that we wouldn’t be having classes the following day. There was a strike of combi and taxi drivers planned for the department of Lima and they decided it would be better if none of us tried to travel out of our neighborhoods that day. Also there would be no way for any of the teachers to get to us, because they all live in Lima. So we had what’s called a Standfast. It’s the first level of the Peace Corps Emergency Action Plan and it means we are to stay within our host communities until we hear further instructions. Apparently there had been some talk of the possibility that the paro might get a little violent so PC staff doesn’t want us out and about.

Tuesday night was a party for Piero’s 4th birthday. Some of the family came over and we ate a lot of food. It was fun :-P The music got turned on eventually and we all spend a while trying to talk Piero into dancing; when that didn’t work they turned to me. So I danced with Piero’s godfather in the middle of a circle of my host family members. Even better? The whole thing is on video just in case anybody missed it ha ha. Turns out the salsa dancing I used to do in the states is a little different then how they were dancing at the party. So I guess I have some more dancing to learn….its hard work, but someone has to do it :-P

Wednesday was basically a snow day….in the South. Meaning we all stayed home and nothing really happened with the riot. Although it’s better in this case, because strikers getting violent would be far more complicated than the inch of forecasted snow actually falling on a snow day. I woke up Wednesday morning to do some homework with Kelsey and that afternoon we went on a walk with Jeff. Kelsey, Jeff, Jon and I also sat around Kels’ living room chatting for a bit. That night I watched 27 Dresses on my computer. Over all, a pretty relaxed day and I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment