"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

October 26-28: Peru 18 Health FBT……since when am I the one giving answers?


           Wednesday, Thursday and Friday the Peru 18 Health trainees had their FBT in Kaitlyn’s site, which is just up the mountain from mine. There is nowhere to stay in Mushu though, so they actually stayed in Mancos. I got to help out with their classes for the whole three days. Vero and I led a session on working with youth. We taught them some dinamicas and some craft activities and just generally talked about working with kids. Since they are health volunteers they also had the chance to build latrines and a “concina mejorada” (it’s a fairly simple way to build a wood burning  stove that ventilates better and is, therefore, better for your health). Since the idea was to have a current volunteer with the different groups at all times, I actually ended up “leading” some of these building projects. Since I know nothing about turning a pile of mud and bricks into a kitchen, this translated to me being a somewhat bilingual cheerleader. Kait would turn up with instructions and I would cheer them on. Nico and Yoss, two other health volunteers came to our sites to help out too, so there was enough health program expertise to make up for my youth development handicap. In the end the projects turned out great and I learned a thing or two along the way.
                The volunteers stayed at the hostel in Mancos called La Casa de Mi Abuela. It’s about a 20 minute walk from my house, so each night after they built stuff all day Kait, Vero, Yoss and I would go up to the hostel to teach some more crafts and eat dinner with them. On the first day we actually had a volunteer panel for the trainees. This is when a group of PCVs sit around and answer whatever questions the audience has, this was almost a weekly event throughout my training. The only difference was that this time I was on the panel.  It felt strange to be the one with some answers now. I was also a point of interest for a lot of the 18ers because I had so recently come to site. The first three months are a huge, looming question mark during training and they all wanted to talk about it. Fortunately I’ve got the gift of gab, as my mom says, so I did my best to talk with everyone throughout the three days.
                Helping with FBT was a great opportunity for me and it was SO much fun to hang out with other volunteers. I was absolutely exhausted by the end of it though…..I don’t work 15 hour days anymore :-P

Good luck to all the 18ers and I can’t wait to see which if y’all are coming to Ancash!

No comments:

Post a Comment