"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

November 27 – December 4: Early In Service Training


           Our E-IST was in Olmos, Lambayeque.  It’s the site of Spear, a Peru 15 youth volunteer, and it was mostly what you’d expect a PC training to be I think. A few of the highlights……
We each did a short presentation of our community diagnostics and turned them in (finally). Mine went great and the group I presented to commented that my Spanish had improved a lot since training. EXCELLENT!
We had the chance to participate in the World AIDS Day celebration that Speare had organized with his kids. It was great to see an event first hand and of course one of our assignments for the week was to come up with skits and participate. We wrote raps, original songs, staged games shows and even had a dancing condom.
The last day of the training we were divided into small groups to go visit other sites in Lambayeque. I went to Eten, right by the beach. We worked with a group of youth health promoters, visited a great town library, and had ceviche on the beach. It would be no stretch of the imagination to say that I have a little bit of site envy over Eten. It was a great town.
The day that training ended we hung around for a night in Chiclayo, the capital of the department. It’s one of the old colonial towns in Peru and feels enormous to me in comparison with Huaraz. There are so many things there that haven’t made it to Huaraz yet. We had Mediterranean food for dinner, hung out at the PC hostel and went salsa dancing that night. We had most of the next day to wait for our bus so we went to the mall! I had pizza hut and wandered around the Plaza Vea just looking at stuff. I also tracked down a King Kong cake for my host family. Before you even ask, I have no clue about the name. It’s a layer cake with various fruit fillings and apparently Lambayeque is known for them. I don’t actually think they taste very good, but my host mom asked for it by name so I made sure to bring one back with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment