"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

November 18: a green take on the blues


              So I have officially met rainy season. The locals were in a fit because it came so late this year; being that I have no crops of my own, I was lesson concerned, although I understood.
                I still have no crops, but I’m starting to understand a little more now. It’s like those whale sharks in the Atlanta Aquarium ….once you’ve seen them, you’d know if they were missing. Rainy season here is not a slight spritz around the 3 o’clock hour nor is it a sudden deluge either, it’s an event.  Each afternoon the clouds roll in across the mountains, the wind picks up, then drizzle starts and slowly increases. It could last a few hours or it could last all night. And the locals certainly expect it to happen every day.
                From a practical standpoint I see the usefulness; the agrarian culture here depends on it. From a nature standpoint I can even see the beauty; I had a great time thinking of a way to describe it to you, even though I came up with nothing. However, from a personal standpoint I’m slightly worried. I’ve been thinking a lot about morning glories this week. Yep, I mean the flower. A morning glory is a flower that closes up each night and reopens with the sun each day. I’ve never lived somewhere with a rainy season before and I’ve only been in this one for about a week, so I don’t have a lot to go on; but I’m starting to worry that I’m a morning glory. Or maybe an afternoon not-so-glory. This week, each day when the rain started I just wanted to stop. I’m hoping it was simply a blah week that happened to coincide with the arrival of rainy season; but if not, what do I do? The sun may be out in the mornings, but there are a lot of afternoons between now and March.

No comments:

Post a Comment