"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

October 14: I desfilar-ed with the sweetest kids!


              Friday morning I went up to Caraz to help out with a desfile (parade) at Brice’s CEBE. I don’t remember what the acronym stands for exactly, but it’s a special education school. Friday was the anniversary, so the school director decided to invite all the other schools in Caraz to have a parade in honor of the rights of people with a handicap. Brice and I went to the school a little earlier to help them make a few more posters. While we were working soccer team from Lima came by to visit and gave the kids new shoes and stuffed animals. The students were SO excited!  I absolutely love this school. The teachers are amazing and the students could not be sweeter.
                Around mid-morning we loaded all the students into a truck and took them to the start of the parade. From there we walked through Caraz, into the town plaza. Lots of other schools came to participate and they all had posters about inclusion and rights of disabled students. As with any good parade there was a band walking up front with us, so I got a few of the girls to dance along in the streets with me, instead of just walking. It was an incredibly uplifting way to end a week.
                I went back to Mancos for lunch with my family and then that afternoon I head into Huaraz for our bi-monthly socializing :-P 

No comments:

Post a Comment