"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

March: They’re Ba-ack….


              So the primary bit of excitement in March was school starting back. It’s a bit of a continual process around here. Classes started around the 5th but the meeting to plan most of the classes wasn’t until the next week. Also kids were still enrolling for the first three weeks or something like that. Needless to say it’s a more chaotic beginning then we’re used to in the states. I finally got the chance to enter a classroom regularly though! In the schools here they have something called tutoria. It’s sort of like a study hall, each grade has an hour a week with a professor where they talk about things that are important but don’t exactly fall into the curriculum of the other classes. I started working with the tutoria professor for first grade of secundaria (12-13 years old). I am doing a series of classes that focus in self-esteem and getting the kids to think about what is special in their own lives. So far it’s been going well. The classes are really big, but the kids seem interested and entertained. 
                In the month of March I also went into the secundaria with the staff from my health post to do a health campaign with the kids. It’s an attempt to do an overall health exam with as many of the youth in Mancos as we can. The kids got their teeth and eyes looked at and got a physical from the doctor. My task was to oversee a survey they needed the kids to fill out, but I also ended up serving as the child wrangler / source of entertainment while the kids had to wait. I’m not sure how long this campaign will keep going, but I was happy to see it start. We got a new obstetrician at the health post and she had this whole thing running within her first three weeks, so I have high hopes for working with her.
In other news I bought shelves for my room. This may not seem exciting to you but I was thrilled. I found them nearby in Yungay and then spent the afternoon organizing them. They make my room seem way less cluttered and I’ll leave them as a gift for my host family when I leave,
                We celebrated St. Patrick’s Day with a potluck at California Café. There were actually people from a bunch of the different volunteer organizations around Huaraz, it’s always nice to see the other foreigners, you never know who you’ll run into…..for instance, another former OYP-er. Crazy, but true. I was standing in Cali eating some food and this guy wanders past, says “hey Kelly” and then keeps walking. Naturally I put a stop to that. I honestly was having trouble recognizing him until he told me he had been an orphan in Oliver. Since most of you don’t have my theater career memorized (don’t worry, you’re forgiven :-P) Oliver was 10th grade for me. Considering that this kid is only 20 or so now he was about 13 the last time I saw him and now here he is teaching English in Huaraz. It’s a small world sometimes.
                It’s fortunate that there was a potluck to distract me, because the same weekend as St. Patty’s was the one year anniversary of Nat and Mark’s accident. Nat and Mark threw a party to celebrate their recovery, complete with truck shaped piñata and I would’ve loved to have been home to celebrate with them. That was not an option for me though so I made Natalie carry around her Iphone so we could talk on FaceTime  during the party! Nat and Mark, I love you guys and I am so glad that my biggest concern was not being able to make it home to your party. Y’all are two lucky duckies.
                March rounded out with the beginning of another training, Plan Design Management / In Service Training (PDM/IST). For this training we each brought a socio from our sites. The idea is that we workshop a project that we’re planning on starting in our town.  There were mixed reviews afterwards, but I actually really enjoyed the chance to work through the planning steps while our trainers were around. And of course it’s always great to see the rest of our group at trainings. By the end I think our brains were a little fried from the amount of information we had received, luckily for us it was time for vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment