"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

April: the month I will spell wrong for the rest of my life……


                No really, it’s true. April in English and Abril in Spanish…..which is really just april with the “p” flipped over. What’s a girl to do?
                April kicked off with a bang. And by bang I mean headache, fatigue and dizziness…….but the views were AMAZING. Plus, now we know that I need to prepare for high altitude activities. A huge group of us went hiking for our Semana Santa holiday. Since we were already in Ancash for training we decided to stay-cation around here. Things didn’t really go according to plan so instead of hiking up and over a mountain pass we hiked to our first planned camp site and stayed for two nights. There were a number of us dealing with altitude sickness and the weather got pretty rough, so it just seemed like the safer choice. I was one of the sick ones, so I can’t say it was the most relaxing vacation I have ever taken; but it was BEAUTIFUL and I always have fun hanging out with the other 17-ers. Even altitude sickness and freezing rain can’t change that. After three days in the mountains we headed back to Huaraz and just generally goofed around. It was Brice’s birthday so we celebrated that in style, including an original song written in his honor (Brice you know we love you, Brice you know we care, but if you get too drunk tonight we’re going to shave of all your hair……). We also went to a dance party and had a family potluck……not at the same time, don’t worry. By the time it was all said and done I was about ready to get back to site. A week of training and then 5 days of vacation really cuts into the campo sleep schedule I’ve gotten used to; which is lots!
                The rest of April was spent doing two things, getting my after school classes started and trying to get external hard drive number 2 fixed. The class thing always takes a little while getting everyone on board, but it finally fell into place. I have started my Pasos Adelantes class with the 4th and 5th grade of my secundaria school. PA is a personal health focused class. The idea is the kids are going to or have already started making adult decisions and we want to give them all the pertinent information in the hope that those decisions will be made in an informed manner. (Mejor dicho: safe sex- do it like the cool kids!) I am also starting back with my English club to give the kids chances to practice speaking and ask any questions they might have about their regular English homework. It’s still really early on with both classes but I have high hopes. I can already see the difference between this school year and the end of last school year. The kids have had more time to get to know me.
                As for the hard drive, it crashed. It wasn’t a pretty moment in my Peace Corps career. I’m not proud of it, but I cried like a little girl when I thought I had lost all of my photos……like a tiny, little girl. Fortunately three trips to Huaraz, 5 tech guys and a few hundred soles later all is well. I have all my documents back, a hard drive the works again (surprisingly) and a new favorite tech guru.  
                The last day of April I went into Huaraz to go to dinner with Ali’s parents! They had been off traveling around Peru and came back to Huaraz for the last leg of their trip so a group of us came into town to hang out. Ali’s parents were wonderful to me and brought down the new hard drive I had ordered when I thought my other one couldn’t be fixed. Then they topped the whole thing off by bringing a bag of my favorite potato chips. Thanks so much Mr. and Mrs. Foley!

No comments:

Post a Comment