"Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where the Boom Bands are playing."
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Please, Mr. Post Man

After my initial interview for the Peace Corps I was nominated to work somewhere in Central or South America with a projected leave date in February 2011. Well, as we’ve already discussed that is no longer the plan. I received a phone call, on my birthday no less, telling me that I had more waiting to do and the earliest I might leave is April. To make matters worse I had already quit my job. Christmas and my sister’s wedding were coming up; too much time to ask off from a job we all thought I was leaving in February.  Not an ideal situation. I could’ve found another job in Athens and my parents were fine with me continuing to live with them, but I had already wrapped my head around leaving……so leave I did. Claire offered me her living room for the time being and as much as I loathed the idea of waiting tables again, at least it would be in a new town. So I moved to Tampa.


I finally got all the way to Tampa last Thursday. I spent the day organizing all of my belongings and turning half of Claire’s living room into a bedroom; I even built a closet. I updated my resume in preparation to go job hunting. Claire and I started making plans for me to meet all of her friends…..all the makings of a new life in Tampa. You ready for the punch line? After returning from the gym on Saturday morning (that’s right, not even two whole days later) I found an email informing me that my peace corps assignment  had been mailed to me Friday morning. That’s right….I packed up my stuff, crammed it into my car and drove all the way to Florida only to find out that the exact thing I’d been waiting for was currently winging its way through the mail to my home - in Athens.


Its Sunday today, the mail doesn’t run on Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment